D.J. Donovan-Johnson has over 20 years experience as a professional artist and instructor. BA and MA degrees in art have been supplemented by instruction from nationally known artists. Her work has been on exhibit in the National Gallery of the Interior in Washington, D.C., in galleries and national competitions throughout the US. DJ was voted "Best Visual Artist" in Boulder in the 1992 Boulder Daily Camera Newspaper survey. She is a sought after juror for art shows throughout the region.
- BS(Art) - Western Michigan University
- MA(Art) - Eastern Washington State College
Oils - Acrylics - Watercolors: Sophisticated linear impressionistic oils and acrylics are characterized by an experimental approach emphasizing strong dynamics and textures. The watercolors are representational in content and experimental in approach.
Instructor - Watermedia and oil workshops
Consultant - East Boulder Community Recreation Center art exhibits
Instructor (2 yrs) - Kalamazoo Art Institute
Instructor (8 yrs) - Public school systems in Montana, Michigan and Washington.
Professional Artist - 30 years
Juror for Regional Art Shows
National Society of Painters in Casein and Acrylic, Salmagundi Club, State of the Art, NYC; Water Media US Open, FACET, Taos, NM; Thorsen Gallery, Jewish Community Center, Art Mart, University of Denver and Judaic Art Shows, Denver, CO; Colorado Springs Art Center, Colorado Springs, CO; Longmont Artists' Guild, Longmont, CO; Boulder Center for the Visual Arts; Miriam Pearlman Gallery, Chicago, IL; Coyote Woman Gallery, Harbor Spring, MI; Art Expo/Cal, Los Angeles, CA; House Gallery, Oklahoma City; plus one-man and group shows throughout the U.S. including the National Gallery of the Interior, Washington, D.C.; Solo show at Mitchell Museum, Trinidad, CO.
- National Society of Painters in Casein and Acrylic
- National League of American Penwomen
- Founding Member - Studio Six Artists' Cooperative, West Point, New York
- Founding President, Board of Directors, Flatirons Center for the Arts, Boulder, Colorado
(now called The Dairy Center For the Arts)
- Colorado Watercolor Society
West Point Museum, USMA, West Point, NY; Central Bank, Great Falls Clinic, YMCA, Great Falls, MT; Metropolitan Life Insurance, Pernova, Inc., and Saimag, Inc, Boulder, CO; Robbins, Inc., University of Denver Law Library, Denver, CO; King Fahad, Saudi Arabia; Private collections throughout the United States, Germany, and Sweden.
Selected Juried Shows, Awards and Publications
- Red River Watercolor Society - Fargo, ND: 1994 $750 Silver Medal, 1995, 1999, 2000
- Kansas Five State Watercolor Open: 1994 Dick Blick Award, 1995 two corporate purchase awards; Kansas Five State Invitational, 2000
- Oklahoma Watercolor Society Show, 1994, 1995
- Northwest Watercolor Society Show, 1994
- Western Watercolor Society Show, 1994
- Artist's Magazine Cover Competition Finalist, 1994, 1996
- NSPCA, National Arts Club, NYC 1994, 1995
- Tubac Art Center Juried Show, Tubac, Arizona, 1995
- Artimis Southwest Artescapes, Scottsdale, Arizona, 1995
- Poudre Valley National Juried Show, 1995
- Greeley National Art Exhibition 1994, 1995 Gold Award, 1999, 2000 Second Place
- Colorado Watercolor Society 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000
- Gilpin County Juried Art Show 1994, Juror 1995, 1996-2000 Awards
- Perry House Galleries, National Juried Show, Alexandria, VA, 1995; Grand Prize
- Artists of Colorado, Denver, CO 1995
- Voted Best Visual Artist in Boulder - 1992 Boulder Daily Camera Survey
- Trinidad National Juried Show, 2000, Best of Show
- Aim for the Arts, International Juried Show, Canada 2000
- Estes Park National Juried Show, 2000, Best of Show
- Boulder Art Association Spring Show, 1999 Best of Show, 2000 First Place Acrylic, 2001 First Place Mixed Media
- Who's Who Artists of the West, 1996 listing
- Who's Who of American Women Artists, 1997 listing
- Artwork published in Best of Acrylic Painting, Rockport Publishers, 1996
- Artwork published in Floral Inspirations, North Light Publishing, 1998
- Artwork published in North Light Magazine, May 1998
- Strathmore's Who's Who, 1998-1999
- Mitchell Museum One-man Show, Trinidad, Colorado 2001
Additionally D.J. has had several opportunities to jury shows in the Colorado area, including the CCAE National Juried Show, the 1994 Colorado Senior Art Show, the Gilpin County Art Association Show in Central City, Colorado; the Gilpin County Fair Art Exhibit Awards, the Louisville National Juried Art Show, and the Longmont Artists' Guild Show, the Glenwood Springs Annual Show, the Fiske Planetarium National Juried Show, the 1995 and 1996 Colorado Senior Art Show, the Southern California Senior Art Show, with Gerald Brommer, the Allied Artists of Denver Juried Show, and the 1998 Colorado Watercolor Society Botanical Gardens Juried Show.